Monday 18 February 2013

Rocketing Commissions…

So things have been hard this week.  My dearest little man has been poorly.  He was all out of sorts on Monday, and then we had a Screamful night and day, with the GP suspecting an ear infection.  After a few more Screamful nights and a good dose of antibiotics we started to see improvements.  We had to call for re-enforcements in the shape of a Granddad to babysit so that we could go to work (working on a few nights of no sleep is super hard!).  Needless to say my little man spent some good time with his Granddad and they got on superbly. We can say that his Granddad has now earned his nappy changing qualification seeing as he’d never changed one before..in at the deep end!  With cheery smiles returning to the rosy cheeks of my scallywag, hubby and I were also invaded by some germs.  Heavy colds, lack of sleep, interrupting our plans…it’s enough for anyone to want to curl up and hibernate.  Roll on spring and summer when the weather warms and the germs go into hibernation for awhile.

A lovely surprise from my hubby this Valentines…a lovely bunch of flowers.  P1020212I am surprised he summoned the energy to do anything seeing as we were all so wiped out!  P1020214They are the most unusual flowers…I think they look like artichokes! I love them, and pleased he didn’t go for the commercial choice.   We can take or leave Valentines…we often don’t bother but flowers definitely made me smile this week.

Anyway…onto commissions…

It’s a funny old thing when people say they like the things that you make.  Invariably I don’t believe them as I see all the flaws, imperfections, and naivety involved with my projects.  It’s nice to hear though.  Well remember my robot birthday picture here ?! The recipient sent me a lovely picture of it on her son’s wall in pride of place…that made me feel good.  But then she asked if I’d make one for her to give as a gift to her friend and said that she’d pay!  The first thought I suppose is “Really?…They’re not that good…are they?!”  But then it’s really flattering, and as I enjoy doing it I thought well why not.  Costing work is a difficult thing, and valuing the time you spend on a project.  For this…material cost and a few cups of tea as payment.

The request was for a similar picture, boy’s colours, any theme.  Quite a broad spec there…  I drew a few ideas out…I plumped for a Rocket design.  There was a lot of pondering along the way (colours, stitching design, flames/no flames, materials…) but we stayed simple.  Sometimes simplicity is the key…well that’s what my husband’s response was as I think he was a bit fed up of me asking his opinion continually!  Here are a couple of pictures…

P1020216

P1020221

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here is the finished item framed…P1020222

I’m pleased with the finished result. I hope it meets up to her expectations!

Since having this order, I have also been asked to make some bunting and memo boards for my friends baby’s room, and a bag holder for her kitchen.  I’ve entered into the challenge and will probably tackle the bunting and bag holder first…memo boards later!

I do have to balance being a mum, a wife, an Occupational Therapist, a domestic goddess, a social butterfly etc but I really enjoy my new hobby, and if I can make things for people along the way then that’s great!

Oh well, I’m going to rest and recuperate ready for a week of work (before 2 more weeks holiday! Yay!)  I wish these germs would do one!

Love from me and my little man (snotbags) x

PS…I’ve heard on the crafting grapevine that I may be famous again….. x

1 comment:

  1. Your rocket picture is great! Hope your little man feels better soon.
    Thanks for the lovely comment on my waterlily blanket!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete