Thursday 10 January 2013

Never Smile at a Crocodile…

 

 

I love Quentin Blake’s Illustrations.  They remind me of reading much loved Roald Dahl’s books when I was little.  I’ll have to get the collection for when my little man’s ready to absorb the adventures and tales…

Well seeing as this project was all about a Crocodile, I thought I would pull this Quentin Blake image up to get us in the mood…

 

How troublesome can a Crocodile be?!

VERY…especially when it is the length of an A-Z, multi-coloured and bright as can be…with a missing I!

Crocodile

Here is my little man’s Crocodile! Troublesome indeed! Now where is that missing letter I?!  I’m sure many a parent have these issues of having puzzles and games with lots of pieces to go astray.  A One year old who likes to demolish (not construct!), like to fling pieces, chew pieces, hide pieces…  I retrieved many from the bottom of the toy box, some from the sofa…almost a whole Croc…but missing a thoracic vertebra along the way! 

I thought I would be helpful and make a bag for this croc, so all his bits and pieces could all be stored safely. 

I chose a teal stripe with teal spot ribbon for the drawstring.  It was relatively easy to knock up following a few tutorials on the web for different ideas/techniques (Here's one and here.)   I decided against lining as I thought (I know it sounds bad) I didn’t want to waste my lovely fabrics on a toy box destined item!

Here are my results…

drawstring bag

drawstring bag

I am quite pleased with the result, there are a few things I’d change next time…zigzag internal edge to prevent fraying, consider lining, continuous drawstring loop instead of two openings…

I was going to do an applique on the bag to identify what is stored in there…I thought a croc would go nicely on there. I think I will think about an applique with time (I know it would have been easier from the start, but I think he needed a bag quickly before anymore pieces strayed!)

I have to make a few more of these, and use them for storing other perilous puzzles.  They can also be used for many other purposes and in different sizes, toy cars, marbles, lingerie travel bag, jewellery bag, gift bag, PE kits etc.

The crocodile and his teeth are safely bestowed in his treasure sack…!  I do have to find the missing I…but it is in the lounge somewhere, so it shall be returned to its place in time! 

Remember never smile at a Crocodile…

Love from me and my little man x

1 comment:

  1. It definitely needs somehting on the front I think....but a crocodile is ambitious with all those teeth and legs and bumps. Have you though about a simple puzzle shape with the word croc embroisered on? then the puzzle bags can all be themed.

    Or you could just trace round the first three/four puzzle pieces to get the shape of the head?

    It will be easy to decorate when you have time. A bit fiddlesome to machine sew perhaps but a bit of fusible web and hand sewing if it won't go uner the machine and you'll be there!

    Rach xxxx

    ReplyDelete