Sunday 20 January 2013

Challenge: Pretty Fabric…

 

My sisters’ challenge for me was to start cutting into my pretty Pretty fabric stashfabric stash…I’ve been admiring the prettiness of my stash, and I have found many an excuse to avoid the first cut.  I’ve been thinking of a project that would do the material justice…and not just use it for the sakes of using it.   I think it’s hard to use things when you’re still building up your collection as you will ultimately be left with less.  My sisters words of encouragement… “it gives you an excuse to buy some more pretty material…”  Too true. 

So I was going to give you a “Squeak" Preview of this project…but, true to my word, I’m a completer-finisher…it’s done!  If I draw your attention back to my Christmas cushion cover, you will remember that our notoriously deep sofa is short of cushions.  My mam had some cushion pads going spare, so I got my mitts on them, and they’ve been waiting to be covered…

I had a few designs in mind - I was thinking of an applique design (I almost went with patchwork, but applique won out).  For once I steered clear of felt…

Inspiration came from the quietness of the snow that has been falling… What is one of the quietest animals…? Why, a little mouse of course.  I thought a whiskery floral mousey would fit in nicely into my home.  I’d rather the floral fabric type mousey, rather than the brown lively variety that the cat prefers…  I love the Tailor of Gloucester by Beatrix Potter, the image of the tailor mouse sitting upon his cotton reel ready to  make fine clothing for the mice.  My cat is like Simpkins…

So here are a few pictures…

Mousey

My mousey friend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A running stitch for the writing…

Running stitch

Chain crocheted tail

A chained crochet tail sewn into place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The backing fabric to match the body of the mouse.  I got my envelope sewn the right way around this time!

Pretty fabric

I had to then wash it as my disappearing ink…it just didn’t disappear!  All cleaned, quickly ironed…and stuffed…and….

Finished!

P1020111

Sitting proudly on my sofa.

P1020112

I’m really proud of it. I met my challenge, and I feel like making more! 

Oh..and I need more fabric….!

 

Love from me and my little man x

No comments:

Post a Comment