Thursday 22 November 2012

Stuffing a Letter to Stuffing a Stocking!

A weekend of great fun when me and my little man travelled to my sisters for a long weekend away.  After battling with the M6 full of traffic jams, with cheese sarnies strewn all over the car and a whiffy smell emanating from the rear passenger we were pleased to arrive to a mug of tea and the promise of a cookie!


My sister had a baby boy 8 weeks after my little man arrived, so we were looking forward to seeing the two boys play and entertain each other.  Our main plan was to entertain the kiddywinkles enough to wear them out for decent naps and bedtime to allow us time at the crafting table. Did our plan work? No... So we worked long into the nights and burnt our candles at both ends...but I think we achieved a great deal.  The housework was definitely not achieved...and the mess mounted higher and higher on the dining room table!  I'm not sure my brother-in-law really appreciated how messy creativity could be!

I planned to start simple so I could get over my machinists' nerves and pick my sisters brains for tutorials as needed! I have LITERALLY not sewn before...so all a bit of daunting, but exciting, experience!  I stuffed a heart back at home and messed around with an old pillow case to figure out stitches etc. and to have a play with my machine, but did nothing with intention.

My first project was to be a christmas tree/house decoration for my dearest friend.  So a decorative stuffed hanging letter was the plan.  It is an "L" if you hadn't guessed with some jingle bells to add a more festive feel.

I had initial difficulty getting my head around mirror imaging and cut out two shapes that didn't fit together! And then when i sewed the final two together, I was so excited I didn't match up the stripes...so vertical this side, and horizontal the other side. 

Oh well...my sister says it adds to the charm...

I think my friend will love it as my first ever make, and I think she'll appreciate the effort I put in.  I'll have to let you know what she thinks!



So start simple...and aim BIG! From stuffed letter to Christmas Stocking for my little man!  It's definitely his FIRST stocking...but not his first Christmas...he pipped Santa to the post on Christmas Eve so technically he has already had one Christmas.  Pity the majority of his first was spent in the General Hospital making it out for 6pm Christmas day!

So with a lot of coaching...I made it!...here it is...

A festive Robin singing a few hand-sewn notes to keep up the merry cheer.  I love the striped fabric on this side.  I made the robin out of felt.

My little man's name appliqued on this side so that Santa knows where to stash the goods!

The inside is lined in a gorgeous material patterned with gingerbread men, candy canes, hearts...lots of things christmassy...



I love the stocking and I am sure that it will be loved every 24th/25th December.  I am looking forward to filling it and leaving it by the bedroom door for my little man to stumble upon Christmas morning and open up the goodies in bed with wrapping paper strewn everywhere! (I may have to help him in these first few years...I'm not complaining..!)


I thought I better label it to tell him that I made it with love... I hope it lasts!

Right...now where's the coal and tangerines....?!?

Love from me and my little man x

No comments:

Post a Comment