Friday 23 November 2012

Christmassy Cushion Cover

With my new found skills I thought I would put them into good use. We are distinctly lacking cushions on our lounge sofa.  It's one of these sofa's that is so deep you could use it more like a bed than a sofa. So cushions are the only way that one can get their feet touching the floor...and we have limited cushions for this! Lets learn how to make Cushion covers as a next project...surely simple-ish right...?! 

My sister talked me through a sealed cushion cover...literally cut out your square pattern leaving a small seam allowance, sew all the way around 3 and a bit sides, stuff the cushion in and handsew up the rest.  Easy!  I took a closer inspection of a cushion she had bought from Matalan...very shoddy sewing up - I could definitely do better (feel my confidence growing!)!

We thought an envelope cover would be best to try and master...as if I can do that it's a bit more complex so it would be a good test.

So I cut out my square pattern with seam allowance and appliqued a Christmas Pud (aiming for a funky festive cushion.) made from felt.  I handcut the shapes, and sewed on to the material. Not a bad pud...but definitely need practice on my machine skills!  Apparently mistakes and squiggly lines make it look home made and quirky! Maybe Shabby...but without the chic! 

 Next for the back. I chose a blue starry fabric for the back.  I made the bottom section longer so that when in place the top section would overlap like an envelope in the desired way. 

I made some binding from the material used on the front to tie it in.
 I pinned the cushion all together and then sewed around the whole cushion.  I then turned it right side around.  I think it looks funky and festive and I am really proud of it! I am using it right now to make my feet touch the floor!  My main learning point from this is to make sure the back sections are pinned in the correct way as I accidentally pinned the lower flap over the top flap when it should have been the other way around...I could have unpicked it all...but actually that's my learning mistake...I need to let go of some of my "everything needs to be perfect" traits!


 I love it!

Love from me and my little man x

No comments:

Post a Comment