Monday 31 December 2012

Memo Board

 

I’ve been itching to get back into the crafting zone so I set my sights on creating a memo board for my crafting conservatory.  I thought it would be a great way to set 2013 off to a good crafting start as I could pin up project idea lists, inspirational pictures, patterns etc.

I saw a show just before Christmas of one of Kirstie Allsopp’s Home Made Home type programmes and she made a board on there which reminded me that I’d always wanted to give it a go.

Inevitably a shopping trip was the way forward to get things going.  On my list was…

1) Deep edged canvas (mine was 20”x16”)

2) Wadding/Batting

3) Material (as pretty as possible)

4) Ribbons (more than 3m as I found out later…)

5) Staple Gun (good investment…I asked the guy in the shop for a staple gun and he asked me what was I going to use it for…I said fabric…he looked at me weirdly…I didn’t think he looked like he wanted to know about my project so I re-thought and said walls…that, to him, sounded equally as bizarre!)

I did look at a few tutorials on-line but just decided to free-style in the end.

Staple Gun ActionI wrapped the canvas in wadding and pretty fabric and staple gunned into place.  Staple gunning I feel is more suitable for use by a man…my man obliged, and I think he felt using the gun outweighed the floral fabric and ribbons in the masculinity steaks…

hospital corners

 

 

Pretty Floral

 

 

 

 

Hospital corners on the wadding and beautiful floral fabric.  I remembered to iron my fabric and pulled really taught to make it look good.

 

3m never enough...

Now 3m of ribbon I thought would have sufficed… Apparently not…all but one last strip on the bottom right!  I was so excited about completing this project I couldn’t wait to go and buy more ribbon.  I searched high and low around the house to see if I could salvage any to match…not a thing.  I couldn’t just leave it and wait for more ribbon to be bought!

So I started trying out various ribbon combinations until I settled on one that I thought would do.   I don’t think it was too much of a compromise and I think it looked good in the end.  I made self covered buttons (fiddly little blighters…) and sewed them into the inter crossing points to secure. 

self covered buttons

And there it is…  A beautiful memo board for all of my lists and inspirations to be pinned.  My man has the job of hanging it up tomorrow, on New Years Day.  A fantastic start to 2013!

P1010958

I am now going to wait up to dutifully watch the New Years fireworks on the Telly Box before retiring to bed.  I will wish you all a Happy New Year and I wish you all health, wealth and happiness in 2013!

Love from me and my little man x

PS…he’s started to walk….!

No comments:

Post a Comment