Friday 21 December 2012

Gifts for others.

Well this Christmas has all been a bit of an ambitious rush to get some things done...but I had two projects in mind and I have completed them!  I think next year I will hopefully be able to do a lot more making, and hopefully I will be a bit better by then!

Project 1:  Yo-Yo's first Christmas Bib.

The success of my little mans birthday bib spurred me on to make one for my nephew (Ioan) who is 8 weeks younger than my man.  This is his official first christmas (my little man officially was here last year!) and I thought it would be special to make something for him...and I know my sister would appreciate the work I put into it.  I followed the same method as making the birthday bib.  I had a design in mind - A christmas cracker exploding, with "Ioan's 1st Christmas" written in the explosion bit...I tried it...but I couldn't quite get it to look like I had it in my head! I think it was due to the definition around the cracker shape which wasn't clear enough...I got disheartened...and made the decision to ditch and start again! So my next idea was the one I stuck with...a cheery gingerbread man.  I thought keep it simple...who didn't tell me that felt letters are the fiddliest little blighters around! I had issues with my thread breaking all the time (I took my cousins advice to start mid fabric and not close to an edge and to leave long tails - both did help).  I couldn't ask my sister expert for help as it was a surprise! Grrrr!  I was so annoyed with it, but hey...it's turned out okay!


I can see all the niggly bits...and I have now learned that interface bonding stuff exists for future projects!  I think that would have been better with the lettering and then I could have embellished with hand stitching.

Well the next challenge was blinking Royal Mail!!! Okay...so I understand the Christmas delays..but first class taking almost a week!  We were both held in suspense...and then she got it...and it fits...and it will be worn Christmas day! (I have warned her it may not wash well but that I don't mind if it gets worn and ruined!)

She's already blogged about it here on her page... Aderyn Du



Project 2: A decoration for a dear friend 

My lovely friend Josephine had a baby boy this year (a lot of boys about!) and I thought this could be used as a First Bauble...but I'm a bit late posting! She's mid moving house so I hope they haven't got the internet connected yet!  I think she will appreciate a bit of home made making...I always tell her I'm doing a "josephine" which translates as pottering about being productive and creative! She's always making in the kitchen, has taken up knitting...and I think she's great! She makes me smile so I hope this makes her smile!

Seeing as the gingerbread man looked okay, I thought I'd go for a gingerbread man bauble! All handstitched, so another new challenge.

I cut out the two shapes and decorated - purple buttons with gold thread, smiley face, and icing for arms and legs.  I then embroided his name on the back.  I then had my first go at Blanket Stitch.  I used this tutorial from future girl which was very helpful and easy to understand - Future Girl  So I blanket stitched around him and stuffed him toward the end.  I remembered to put a nice hanging loop at the top.


I don't think he looks too shabby!  For next time I will use a different colour embroidery thread so that it's more easily read, and I think I'll reconsider so many letters (Christmas is a long word and it loses it's affect when you have to squish it in!).  The blanket stitch was good, but I kept running out of thread so it was a bit stop/start this time.  I also should have straight stitched the loop in...some reason I tried blanket stitching around it...but that was a bit silly of me!!  These learning points are a good record of what to improve next time!

What do you think...?!


 I think he'll look nice on a tree...!


More crafting next Christmas I feel...

Love from me and my little man x


No comments:

Post a Comment