Tuesday 29 July 2014

Baby blanket

At last I can finally say that I have finished a blanket!!  Usually the routine goes that I make a start and then decide I don't like the colours, decide it's way too big and generally get bored of crocheting along.  But this...I have finished! The things that got me through this wooly project were a) knowing that it was going to be a pram blanket for my pending arrival, b) using 3x strands of wool meaning that it is a chunky, fast growing blanket, and c) loving the colour combination.  I think the saving grace was that it was intended to be small, so it wasn't such a big commitment in my head. 

I enjoyed making this one, and it actually gave me a valid chance to put my feet up and chill out for  a bit (whilst still being under the guise of being "productive"!!).

I am an avid fan of Pintrest as there is so much inspiration to trawl through.  This is where I got my original pattern from.  I think this blanket is funky and different.  Blanket Pattern here.


Here is my project in pictures...

Making a start whilst the rhubarb and raspberry crumble is cooking in the oven...

The start..

Growing quickly...just like me tummy in the picture...

Growing...

Getting some crocheting time whilst sitting in the sunny garden with my mum and sister...it's growing...
Crochet in the garden...

It was at this point that I had those feelings of doubt...the wool kept un-ravelling, remaining balls getting smaller and smaller and  I did the terrible thing of not keeping the labels!  Would I be able to match up the colours? How much more would I need?!  So on return home, I set out to our local (as in 2mins walk down the road) wool shop Knit Stitch N Craft  and me and the kind lady set about matching colours.  I managed to find the beige and the green (last balls hidden on the shelf!) and the blue we got a very very close match that would suffice...and indeed you cannot tell the change in the blanket.  The visit to that shop gave me more motivation to carry on and taught me one of the big lessons of always keeping your labels!!!

 Loving the chunkiness of this...I used an 8.0mm hook by the way...
ChunkyChunky

Chunky

 And here it is...Ta-Dah!  Hanging over the cot ready for baby to arrive...

Finished baby blanket!

 I considered a border...but then decided that it looked funky and finished without one.  I love the colours...I was dubious about adding the beige wool...but actually it helps to tone down the blue/green.

I am now onto my next hooky project....

Love from me and my little man x


1 comment:

  1. This is adorable! Thank you for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete